This product must meet the MIL-DTL-83133 specification, which stipulates that during its manufacture, CI/LI (corrosion inhibitor/lubricity improver), FSII (fuel system icing inhibitor) and a SDA (static dissipater additive) additives will be added.
In addition, according to this specification, the JP-8 may contain an AO (antioxidant) or MDA (metal deactivator) additive. To be able to add a metal deactivator to the JP-8 formula, according to regulations, express written authorization from the purchaser and user of the product must be obtained.
The main characteristics are:
- Fuel for military aviation.
- Colorless or slightly yellow.
- Density within the range of 6.47-7.01 lb/U.S. gallon (0.775 – 0.840 kg/L)
- Flammable at temperatures above 100.4°F (38°C) in the presence of flames or sparks.
- Freezing point -52.6°F (-47°C).